Sunday 2 November 2014

Week Forty-Seven: The Facts of Life

This week's episode brought to you by the makers of Trivial Pursuit. The top butterfly flight speed is 12 miles per hour. Some moths can fly 25 miles per hour. And people wonder why I'm afraid of moths. Demented little insects that can flutter dementedly faster than I can easily move myself are something to be feared.

Day 1 (323): 27th of October
Africa is bigger than the United States, China, India, Spain, France, and several other countries combined. But as they say, mo' landmass, mo' problems. Carney Park was burning tonight.

Great photo from Pozzuoli. Had to borrow glad rags for a Ball.

Day 2 (324): 28th of October
The Mongolian navy consists of seven people and one boat. Happy Tuesday.

This one came out great. I love the unplanned shots that just seem to work.

Day 3 (325): 29th of October
In ancient Rome, when a man testified in court he would swear on his testicles. I don't think we've come all that far. Science wonders why humans only use a small portion of their brains. I think it's a sample size problem. too many men were studied, and it is well known that little thinking is done with the brain. Ohh pretty. I miss my Mini.

Ahhh, the joys of commuting at dusk.

Day 4 (326): 30th of October
The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used. It turns out that going to sleep at 2230 and waking at 0230 to listen to Game Seven of the World Series leaves one rather less than alert during the day. Despite my elation at the win for the Giants (even years are the thing), I needed two cups of tea, two cups of coffee, and half a bag of chocolate covered espresso beans to reach a level of cognizance that met the minimum requirement to do my job. Also was asked several times if I was sick, several times if I was upset about something, and a couple of kind souls informed me that I looked rather tired. So kind of these random individuals to look out for my health and inform me of my apparent condition. I call this "Sun through rainy windshield."

And this is "Moon plus star." I'm nothing if not creative.

Day 5 (327): 31st of October
The past-tense of the word “dare” is “durst.” I think that means the past-tense of "fare" should be "furst." If only because of the confusion it would cause. If the Internet cannot use the right form of "there" or "their," just imagine. Read a great article this morning extolling the virtues of ghosting. It was music to my eyes. Many a time have I been chided for buggering off from a party without saying anything. That was the plan for tonight's party. A couple hours, a couple beers, a couple hellos and I'd be gone. Haha. Best laid plans. Foiled by that A-hole Alan Keilborn Holl. Ah well. Fun regardless. And I think I've satisfied my social appearance quota for at least six months. Here is a cool photo of the moon in the afternoon.

And the sun in the sundown time.

Day 6 (328): 1st of November
It is forbidden for aircraft to fly over the Taj Mahal. Another day, another set of glad rags. The Marines really know how to put on a party. Great grub. Great tunes. Almost enough to distract a person from those she tries to avoid but who end up everywhere. And when one's defenses are down thanks to the Mother of All Hangovers, distractions are welcome. Gosh I'm a grump.

And apparently Hangover Photos look just like Day Before Hangover Photos.

Seriously. Get a new muse, Rodeo.

OK, something that isn't just like the the crap from yesterday.

Day 7 (329): 2nd of November
Cats sleep 16 to 18 hours a day. I believe it, as there is one draped across my person as I type. It is truly remarkable how a human brain works. Particularly when combined with those pesky things called emotions. Someone whose presence used to elicit a smile and positive thoughts can become someone whose presence brings out nothing but urges to simultaneously flee and cause bodily harm and make snarky comments. Really wish I were better at things like saying and doing the right thing, or saying slash doing anything. Nope, when confronted by a complex situation, I usually follow the example of the great Br'er Rabbit. And that typically ends up with me laughing because it's the only thing that makes sense. Any rate, enough of that nonsense. Here is the view from my hotel this morning. Such a lovely morning.

A duck’s quack doesn’t echo, and no one knows why. Just proves that ducks are really aliens.
Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end. All the better for wagging.

No comments:

Post a Comment