Sunday 24 August 2014

Week Thirty-Seven: The Life Curmudgeonly

A long week, for being a short one. I had one tasker that became a massive goat rope and then after all the work, I got a call from the source of the tasker (in D.C.) who basically said "thanks but that was not what we were looking for. Your command didn't really have equity in this at all." Never a dull day. I recently introduced one of my sailors to the term curmudgeon (by telling him he was one), and after consulting a dictionary, he happily agreed he fits the bill (at 25 years old). Bless. Though for whatever reason I was rather that way myself all week. A more normal girl might blame hormones, but I prefer to blame my brain and my blood sugar and sleep levels.

Day 1 (253): 18th of August
Watching loads of So You Think You Can Dance again (to catch up, you see), made sure my crap mood from earlier (stress-related from ship offload and having to go in to work for a couple hours) was greatly relieved. Nothing like thinking about dancing to make me less cross, though it does make me miss the days when I was rather not terrible at dancing. This is a silly photo of some dancing shoes (if one is mad enough to dance in shoes like these). I couldn't get the light right on the watch face, but really I'd not dance in these any rate.

Let's be honest; these are more my speed for dancing. And pretty much anything else that requires shoes.

Day 2 (254): 19th of August
Yesterday was about dancing shoes, which put me in mind of other articles of clothing associated with cliches. Thus we have the thinking cap. This one is for thinking about v naval things. Or really just thinking about when I can not have to be wearing it any longer. If I'm wearing this it can only mean I'm in one of the more wrinkle-able and rather tedious uniforms. I don't care that they look all fancy and cool; they are a nightmare to care for and to wear and to not stain with sundry food and drink.

Again, we have a thinking cap more my speed. In this I shall think about not-naval things.

Ahhhh. The ultimate salve for a crabby girl. Beautiful sunsets. Can't even remember why I was so cross earlier....

Day 3 (255): 20th of August
A Wednesday that behaves like a Monday - totally unacceptable. I suppose that is what I get for having only a sort of work-y day Monday and a liberty day yesterday. Though in the middle of that day my phone indicated I had a voicemail from work, but all that was in the message was silence and the phone didn't show a missed call. When I called to inquire, no one knew who had called, so I spent the next several hours trying not to worry that it was something bad. I v nearly gave up and went in to work regardless, but my bloody mindedness kicked in and I decided not to let anyone ruin my much deserved day off. So there. Laaaaaaaaaahhh light through the clouds.....

Day 4 (256): 21st of August
Department picnic / hail and bail for new and departing people. At least this time someone brought beer. Almost had to miss it because I am the local "she'll do it" girl, and my rank sometimes distracts people from the realities of my position. Trying to say "if you can't find anyone else, I'll do it" when your brain is trying to direct your mouth to say "bugger off!" is an interesting experience. Wooo Saaah. Just look at the nice clouds, Rodeo, and stop being such a grump.

Not sure about this picture. A BBQ grill without the grill bit. Meh.

Day 5 (257): 22nd of August
I've decided that if anyplace can be a market for the discerning tastes of sophisticated land sharks, that place is the autostrada in Italy. I've heard that the left forearm of the human male is a delicacy, and any land shark with an interest in such things would have a lovely time on the roads here in the summer. Male left arms just hanging in the breeze out car windows, as far as the eye can see. I think the richness comes from the dedication to paying attention to the road. Really adds to the bouquet of the arm. Do pardon the attitude. It does seem to be the thing this week. Between maddening taskers and maddening locals and maddening brains, it really is nearly enough to drive one to drink. If only these grapes were already wine, but they certainly aren't in any hurry, now are they?

Wait, I think I may just possibly have one or two or several bottles in the house... Take your time, grapes. Take your time.

Day 6 (258): 23rd of August
As I was driving today, I heard an odd little thwack just beside my head.  Turns out a fly had been sucked in the passenger window and splatted on the passenger headrest. Quite a thing, that. Poor little bugger had been going about his day getting a little thrill out of flying across traffic on the strada statale. A bit of a thrill seeking fly, he thought he had it down and had avoided getting the windscreen treatment. Cut it a little too close, however, and the little crack of an opening just sucked him in and introduced him to the headrest. He's still there, by the way. I keep thinking the wind will blow away the remains, but no such bloody luck. Makes you think. Or maybe it doesn't. One or the other. On second thought, all this thinking or not thinking makes me just want to curl up with the bunny slippers and a good book I've been needing to finish.

As an interesting aside, I recently received the below in the mail as a thank you for my contribution to an Omaze charity for Make a Wish. I'd already received a t-shirt signed by Mark Hamil, two original Star Wars passports, and a Star Wars Fan Club poster from the '80s. This is a 3D MakerBot of Luke Skywalker's lightsaber hilt signed by John Dykstra, visual effects guru for the films. Pretty neat, no?

Day 7 (259): 24th of August
I GOT TO NEW WATCH DOCTOR WHO TODAY!!! HUZZAH!!! GOOD GRIEF THAT WAS BRILLIANT!!! LET ME WATCH IT AGAIN!!! I AM FAR TOO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!
Sorry about that. I get a little excited about my nerd things. Do try to hide your surprise. There is a technique of photography that attempts to split a shot in half diagonally, creating a unique perspective and composition. I've experimented with it in the past, with mixed results. When I stepped outside this morning to have a go with the camera and a chat with the chat, I was greeted by a sight that is so familiar, yet in this instance demanding of capturing. I attempted to make the diagonal split, and while it was not a perfect split, it is a shot of a perfectly lazy feline.

Upon further venturing into the garden (where I've not taken as many photos of late), I realised a) that my landlord cut down / ripped out one of my favourite trees that makes flowers that smell like citrus (but no fruit) and attract loads of bees, and b) that my lemon tree has recently gone bananas (if you'll pardon the expression). For the past two years, this fool tree has had one giant grandpa lemon hanging on one branch, but little else to prove its viability. Apparently the beast awakens and now is simply covered in little bunches like this one.

Been a while since the last garden flower boring photo, and if I'm honest there are not many flowers left to photograph. Found this little guy all alone on his plant.

And this one as well, not far away. I love the little spots in the middle. Like a tiny person dropped tiny dollops of tiny paint in a nice little tiny circle.

So it turns out the crankiness / curmudgeonly behaviour that so characterised the early days of the week just needed time to settle. I probably managed to not burn down too many bridges along the way. All part of my charm, I suppose. A visit from the Doctor (yes, that Doctor) certainly didn't hurt, I am certain. Such AMAZING Doctor Who, too. Really, properly good. So refreshing to see a Scottish actor being a Scottish Doctor. And maybe a little curmudgeonly himself. Just a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment